Is your garage door letting all your neighbors know your home because it’s so loud? Even worse is when you’re getting woken up when someone comes home late. As your local garage door company, we know the feeling of when a loud door can be a nuisance. We gathered some ways to help you keep your garage door quiet.
Where is the noise coming from? How do I get it to stop?
- Worn out rollers: It says it right in the name, rollers, they are supposed to roll on the tracks of your garage door. When rollers reach the end of their life span they start to slide on the tracks rather than roll the way they are designed. The sliding of the rollers is a major source of unwanted noise. Your best solution is to get them replaced by a professional. Another idea is when you do replace the rollers, invest in a quieter roller. Quieter rollers are made of nylon, which is black without any ball bearings, or steel rollers covered in rigid nylon, with 11 ball bearings, that are more solid and stronger.
- Chain-drive door openers: These are much noisier than the newer openers. Having the chain-drive openers replaced with an opener with a rubber belt drive, while reduce the opening of your garage door significantly.
- Transferring of sound and vibrations from the door opener: If you do not want to go through the hassel of changing your opener, infest in vibration isolators. Vibration isolators are placed between the door opener housing and the metal hanger brackets holding it to the ceiling. These isolators act like mufflers do on a car. It is important as well, not to attach the metal brackets holding the tracks of the door opener directly to the roof trusses.
My Garage door is still loud, what else can I do?
- When the door is closed, inspect all the parts of your garage for any worn or broken parts. Call a technician to replace any parts that need replacing. As always, tighten any loose nuts and bolts.
- Lubricate all the metal parts that come in contact with another metal part, like the hinges and spring system of your garage door. A petroleum-based lubricant works best.
- Lubricate the weatherstripping on your door, with a silicone-based lubricant.
Contact Green T Garage Doors, your local garage door specialist! Our technicians have worked on a wide range of garage doors, and know them inside and out. They will be able to suggest a solution to quiet your garage door, and get your neighbors to stop staring! Learn more about Garage Door Repair here!
Request A Quote or Call (630) 717-0007
Image Source: https://www.preferredwindowanddoor.com/how-to-fix-loud-garage-doors/